Punakaiki Horse Treks
Punakaiki Horse Treks offers invigorating and enjoyable horse riding in a natural and safe environment suited to all levels of riders.
10% off 2.5 hour horse ride if staying with us at Hydrangea cottages. (min 2 people), booked through this website.
Ride on horseback through verdant West Coast native bush as you gaze up at 300-foot-high limestone cliffs, or stroll your horse through the fresh West Coast surf to view the magnificence of the Pancake Rocks.
Daily Punakaiki horse treks with experienced guides
The experienced guides at Punakaiki Horse Treks run regular horse treks that leave morning approx 9.30am and afternoon 2-3.30pm (depending on the month)
You should arrive 15 minutes before the trek leaves.
- Experienced, friendly guides who provide quality service with an emphasis on rider safety
- We have been operating our horse treks since 1996
- Elementary horse riding tuition
- Intermediate or advanced riders (as deemed by our guides) are permitted to trot and canter at specified times, while beginner and novice riders are restricted to walking.
- New Zealand station-breds and warmblood standard-bred horses known for their quiet temperament
- Modern stables located 500 metres south of the Pancake Rocks
- Helmets and wet weather gear for treks.
- Light refreshments at our hut in the Punakaiki valley.
- Small groups
- Beautiful scenery
- Free camping available for self contained vehicles.
What you should bring:
- Riders should wear long trousers and closed-toe shoes with a slight heel (walking boot).
- Suitable clothing for weather conditions
Punakaiki Horse Treks runs a 2.5-3 hour horse trek into the Punakaiki Valley, within the Paparoa National Park and finishing along the beach to the southern tip of the Pancake Rocks.
We also offer personalised treks for riders who would like extra tuition or a horse ride designed to their capabilities. Young children can enjoy led-rides on the beach.
Beginning our popular 2.5 hour horse trek, we ford the Punakaiki River and take the scenic route to view the stunning scenery of the Paparoa National Park. We ride through native bush to view huge limestone bluffs capped with lush temperate rainforest.
Native Kereru wood pigeon can sometimes be seen swooping low through forest corridors. Paradise duck, the nosy weka and gorgeous-plumaged pukeko are common onlookers, and oyster catchers, spur-winged plovers and harrier hawks are also visible. Birdlife is a stunning feature of the New Zealand native rainforest and riders can quietly observe their lives from horseback.
We make a stop on the river flat at a bush hut for a stretch and photographs, before wending our way back to the coast. This scenic feast is rounded off with a stroll down Punakaiki beach. Riders can experience the powerful sea rolling onto the famous Pancake Rocks, as they sit on horseback with the horses snorting at the salt spray from the waves.
For the health and well-being of our horses we have a weight limit of 95kg (or 210 pounds).We reserve the right to weigh all customers on the day of the ride and if they exceed the rider weight limit, they will not be permitted to ride and a full charge will apply and no refunds will be provided.
2.5-3 hour group trek – $180.00 per person (minimum of two people)
Allow up to 3 hours for this activity from arrival at stables –
No eftpos facilities, payment in cash preferred – visa and MasterCard also accepted.
Have a trek tailored to your individual requirements.
$220.00 pp, min. 2 persons
We are closed for the winter months, usually from end of May to mid October – these dates can vary slightly, so please phone or email to check.
Please contact us if you are looking for employment opportunities. Your riding ability must be of an intermediate level.